Friday, August 10, 2012

Romania - Friday


Final day of camp for the year couldn’t of been much better (except for the sad fact that three interns got sick today and had to go to the hospital for fluids and such…please pray for them). The last day of camp every week is at Camp Vetca, which is outside in a huge field at the bottom of a valley with enormous, beautiful hills on every side. The camp area has a few tents, a recreation area with basketball courts, a house with a kitchen and storage areas, and a bathroom and shower area. The place is one of the most fantastic places to be and every hill just called to be climbed.

         The activities at Camp Vetca were structured similarly to the rest of camp but most of the actual activities were different. The day starts out with a treasure hunt (leaning on the lost treasure theme) where there are six stations the kids have to try to complete as quickly as their little legs can carry them. Verde started out by trying to throw white beans inside some boots while on one foot, with eyes closed, and turned around. Then we had to link arms and get a wet t-shirt to travel down the line of kids, with a bit of help from us leaders. Next was some exercises while doing memory verses and then some strange challenges with string such as taking a piece of string and looping it through everyone’s shirts. This was followed by singing the Romanian national anthem, quite well I might add, and finally running to the bottom of a hill and receiving ice cream. Once all six stations were completed, everyone had to run to the top of a very steep hill to the welcoming arms of an intern with water.

         After a bit of team time, we had a second section of stations but this time they were even better. First, we did water games like passing a sponge down the line of kids to fill a bucket and something that required water and a plastic bag with many tiny holes in it. Secondly, we got to do horse rides!!!! I’ll admit that I may be from Texas but I don’t remember ever having been on a horse so this was a very nice experience to have with the kids. I got the pleasure of sharing my horse ride with adorable Cristina per her request and it was just great. Final station was more memory verses and doing random things like jumping jacks and running around the tents as fast as possible, luckily the leaders got to relax during this except for the always active Tero.

         Lunch was just sandwiches but they were amazingly satisfying and then it was time for the kids favorite part. The Soapy Slip n’ Slide!!!!!!!!!! Apparently some of the kids look forward to this part all year, and I got to experience why. At first I just watched all the kids, young and old, running at top speed and hitting the slide at all angles with cheers all around. Eventually I just couldn’t hold myself back anymore so I jumped right in line and joined the older boys as they hit the slide mere seconds apart from each other. It was a soapy, cold, wet blast that really helped to make the day, right up until prayer time.

         Once everyone was cleaned up we had the chance to have prayer time. This is where each leader in the group prayers over all of their kids individually. In this time, we really get to see how respectful the kids are and how much they really do appreciate us and appreciate our prayers for them. The vast majority of the kids don’t know English so even though the kids don’t know what we Americans are saying, they still understand what we’re doing and like the feelings that come from it. I loved praying for each child and feeling how calm they got. Most of the kids would even put their ears close to my mouth so that they could hear every word. Afterwards, Cristina (from above) said a prayer over me as well and it was the sweetest moment. I can see and feel God moving inside these children and I know that He will bring great things to their lives.

         At the end of the day all of the leaders said their goodbyes to the kids and that was a hard time because the kids were so very grateful and smiling but we knew that it would be sometime before we even had a chance to possibly see them again. I’m going to miss their smiling faces, their loving natures, and just having the opportunity to touch their lives. I hope they know that not only did I try my best to help them, but also they made a huge impact on my life that I can feel, and I understand this feeling will not leave me. I will never again be able to rid myself of this desire to strengthen, to encourage, to give to, and to love others. Now is the beginning. Now is when I must die to myself, and live only for His glory. Now.

“I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me”
Proverbs 8:17

No comments:

Post a Comment