I don’t know if I mentioned
this earlier on, but I’m working on an oil field in the bayou of Louisiana this
summer. I’m currently sitting on the field for the second week helping to pump
a barge full of a few thousand barrels of oil amounting to many thousands of
dollars. I’ll also be doing this again tomorrow and multiple more times this summer,
which means I’ll be involved in the transfer of millions of dollars worth of
oil. Don’t be jealous though, I won’t be seeing any of those millions
myself. Now I really do understand why
it’s called Black or Liquid Gold.
So far since I’ve been out here,
I’ve seen 3 alligators (and expect to see many more), many cool birds, snakes,
crawfish, plenty of fish, and even some of the cast of Swamp People. Unlike
most of my friends, I drive a boat to my job and all day during my job and go 7
days at a time without seeing cars or the majority of civilization. We receive
a pretty comfy allowance for food for the week (I work 7 days on, and 7 days
off) so the eating is always delicious or at least better than college
cafeteria food. I spend most of my days
riding around on the boat, checking for any leaks, reading the days numbers,
and taking care of any problems that might arise. Example of a problem might be
switching a compressor back on, after it went off for unknown reasons, which
normally wouldn’t be too bad except for the fact that it was pouring rain
outside and I was definitely drenched by the end of it.
Now I’ve explained Black Gold
and Gators but what could Orphans possibly have to do with my summer?? Well,
I’m also attempting to go on a 10-day mission trip to Romania in August with
the Livada Orphan Care organization. One of the nannies that I mentioned in my
first blog post told me about the organization because she happens to be
interning for them this summer in Romania. The LOC helps to care for and
minister to orphans and at-risk children in Romania, in order to bring them to
better lives and to God. They also teach these children and gypsy children how
to read, write, and speak both Romanian and English, while also teaching them
normal life skills as well as letting them know how much God loves them.
Right now I’m spending all of
my free time trying to raise both prayer and financial support to go on this
mission trip. If I’m able to raise this support, than I will be aiding the
interns in running the summer camps that the LOC puts on for these children and
helping to teach these children about God’s Word and His Love. I know that the
old me wouldn’t of considering spending a dime to do something seemingly crazy
like this, but now that I feel God’s hand in my life, I also feel like He’s
drawing me out to do this. God told us to make disciples of all nations, to go
out and spread His Word, and He told us of the importance of the children.
These children need to feel loved and that’s what I want to bring to them.
Now, I know what should
normally come next in something like this. I ask you for money and try to make
you feel bad if you don’t give. Let’s not do it that way. If you’d like to give
me financial support for this opportunity than I’ll certainly graciously accept
it but if not, then that’s fine too, but I would ask that you send out a prayer
for me and more importantly for these children. Pray that they feel loved by
both man and God, pray that they be cared for, and pray that their care givers
have all the strength of heart, body, and soul that they need to teach and love
these children.
“Go therefore and make
disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the
Son and of the Holy Spirit” Matthew 28:19
“But
when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to
me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” Mark 10:14
No comments:
Post a Comment